Position Title: #YesWeCode Verizon Minority Male Makers Youth Summit Coordinator
Reports to: Tamyra Walker, Director of Recruitment & Retention, #YesWeCode
Status: Contract, part-time (estimated 2 hours/week in June and July; full-time week of July 28-31, 2016)
Start Date: Immediately
Location: Physical headquarters in Oakland, CA
#YesWeCode - an initiative of The Dream Corps- is a national initiative with a vision to help connect 100,000 low-opportunity youth to high-paying tech careers, with a focus on software development. We accomplish this through our #YesWeCode national scholarship fund and through technical assistance to school districts, postsecondary training providers and tech employers.
#YesWeCode is partnering with the Verizon Minority Male Maker initiative to deliver its first-ever Youth Summit. 100 select middle-school participants and their accompanying guardians will be flown to the San Francisco Bay Area for a 2.5-day capstone experience. This event is tentatively planned for July 28-31, 2016.
The #YesWeCode Verizon Minority Male Makers Youth Summit Coordinator (“Summit Coordinator”) will be responsible for ensuring the successful implementation of summit logistics.
Special Event Planning & Follow-Up
- Work with #YesWeCode staff on the design and curation of the 2.5-day summit experience
- Secure commitments from key partners, like the Verizon Innovation Center and San Francisco 49ers Museum, on their participation of this summit
- Work with Verizon’s travel agency to manage travel arrangements for summit participants
- Serve as liaison with local vendors on event production matters
Special Event Execution
- Assist with managing on-site production and clean-up for events as necessary
- Prepare nametags, materials, packages, gift bags, registration lists, seating cards, etc.
- Keep track of summit finances including check requests, invoicing, and reporting
Key Performance Indicators
- Event is executed consistent with the established plan.
- Event finances are kept within budget.
- Feedback from partners is positive
- Minimum 3 years of professional experience organizing special events with multiple components
- Proven leader with a record of success of accomplishing ambitious, measurable goals
- Track record of success executing high-visibility events involving multiple players from the public, business, and nonprofit sectors
- Knowledge of and experience working in the computer science field a plus
- Experience with program development, implementation, and assessment
- Experience creating and working in successful organizational partnerships
- Exceptional interpersonal and oral and written communication skills
- Quick, creative, entrepreneurial, and flexible, with the ability to adapt to changing circumstances and opportunities
- Strong strategic thinker who is also organized and detail oriented
- Excellent judgment and problem-solving skills
- Strong work ethic and ability to work hard and effectively in a fast-paced new endeavor.
- Ability to work independently, while simultaneously acting as a leader and participant in complex collaborative processes
- Flexible work style and interest in being part of a dynamic, evolving team and organization
- Strong background in social and economic justice and equity
This is a contract position. Please submit a bid for this contract as well as two references for events you have successfully produced. Please submit your contract bid to email@example.com using subject heading, “#YesWeCode Verizon MMM Summit Coordinator - YOUR NAME.”
We respectfully request that all communication be made via email, not by phone.
Dream Corps is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity at all levels.