Position Title: Sr. Policy Advocate/Counsel - Climate
Reports To: Green For All, Deputy Director
Location:Remote. This position may be based anywhere in the continental U.S. We have an office in Oakland, CA the person can also work from.
Green For All is seeking an experienced policy advocate to join our team to advance fair and just climate policies that put low-income communities and communities of color who have been hit first and worst by climate disaster, at the forefront of the solutions. This person will be responsible for monitoring the legislative and regulatory landscape in states across the country, conducting policy research and analysis, developing equitable policy models and solutions in partnership with local leaders and partners, and helping to advance Green For All's policy agenda at the state and federal level.
This position requires some travel within the United States (25%).
About Green For All:
Green For All is a national nonprofit working to build an inclusive green economy strong enough to lift people out of poverty. Our goal is to uplift the voice and experience of people of color in the climate movement to ensure that climate policies prioritize equity and opportunity for those hit first and worst by climate change and pollution. We are working for clean air, good jobs, and strong neighborhoods for all -- starting with those at the frontlines of pollution and poverty. Founded by Van Jones in 2007, Green For All is an initiative of The Dream Corps, a social justice accelerator that helps initiatives grow big enough to impact millions of people.
Policy research and development
- Monitor the policy landscape across the country to identify key opportunities and threats for advancing Green For All's policy agenda at the state and/or federal level.
- Conduct policy research, analysis and help develop policy models that can be implemented in target states.
- Work with the Director of Field Strategy to help shape legislative and regulatory campaign strategies that advance Green For All's policy agenda at the state and federal level.
- Assist with additional research, as needed, to help craft content for media distribution (e.g. local stories, Op-Eds, etc.) that help build support Green For All's policy priorities politically through local and regional media by localizing the issue.
- Coordinate and support research collaborations with partners.
Policy issue education & advocacy
- Provide in-person and remote trainings, presentations, and briefings on equitable policy solutions to build the capacity of community-based leaders and anchor organizations, and build support among policymakers and regulators.
- Represent Green For All, as needed, in testifying before regulatory and legislative bodies.
- Support the Field/Engagement team in outreaching to target policymakers and influencers from different constituency groups to sign a pledge to advance #FrontlinesFirst climate policy and help cultivate them to take specific meaningful actions to support Green For All's campaigns.
- Some travel required (25%) to support/represent Green For All's work across the country.
- B.A. required; Advanced degree preferred
- Minimum 5 years policy experience
- Ability to analyze complex policy issues, with a racial justice lens, and communicate it clearly for different audiences
- Climate policy and/or economic justice policy expertise
- Solutions-oriented problem-solver with working knowledge of legislative, regulatory, and political systems
- Skill in political lobbying and/or policy advocacy
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Works well independently and as part of a team
- Highly reliable and organized; able to juggle many priorities and manage time effectively in a remote setting
- Experience public speaking and as a media spokesperson a plus
TO APPLY:Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com and put "GFA Policy Advocate - YOUR NAME" in the subject line. Please include salary history.
The Dream Corps is an equal opportunity employer.