National Director, #YesWeCode
Reports to: Dream Corps Chief Executive Officer
Location: Oakland, CA
Salary Range: $100 - $120, Depending on Experience
Dream Corps - a bridge-building and solutions-oriented organization - was founded in 2015 based on a simple but powerful idea: we can reshape “what’s possible” in the fields of social justice by focusing on solutions — not silos. The social change space is dominated by single-issue or single-constituency organizations. This arrangement has made it easier to accomplish certain goals in the short term. But in the long term, we recognized that no single issue can be comprehensively resolved without addressing interrelated challenges. And no single community can achieve meaningful, lasting change without building broad, strong, and supportive alliances.
Today, Dream Corps brings people together — including very unlikely allies — to create a better future for all. We work to close prison doors and open doors of opportunity. While acknowledging the “battle ground” issues that divide us, we focus on the “common ground” solutions that unite us.
Since our founding, through three core programs, we’ve impacted millions of lives by working with stakeholders from all walks of life to:
- Transform the criminal justice system (#cut50);
- Increase opportunity in the tech sector (#YesWeCode);
- Build an inclusive green economy (Green For All); and
- Shrink the culture of intolerance, fear and division.
The Dream Corps seeks an experienced, mission-driven individual to lead the #YesWeCode team and grow the initiative's national impact. #YesWeCode’s National Director is responsible for the overall strategy and sustainability of the program. As the main external spokesperson for #YesWeCode, the National Director serves as a thought leader in the field of tech equity and a champion for our program in the media and with our external partners. As a member of the Dream Corps' Leadership Team, the National Director represents the vision and values of the organization within their team, across the entire organization, and as a brand ambassador.
- Work with Dream Corps team members to develop, execute and evaluate #YesWeCode’s national strategy.
- Analyze all opportunities and partnerships. Make decisions based on the mission, vision and values of the organization.
Partnerships & External Relations
- Build and steward sustainable strategic partnerships, alliances and coalitions that align with #YesWeCode’s vision for access to tech job training development.
- Build and activate a network of corporate, community, and media partners and influencers who will support the implementation #YesWeCode’s mission and vision.
- Effectively manage and coordinate #YesWeCode’s resources and partnerships within and across national markets.
- Serve as the key spokesperson for #YesWeCode on the national stage, communicating #YesWeCode’s mission and vision for tech diversity and opportunity in a dynamic manner.
Oversight, Development and Management
- Manage, motivate, supervise and mentor a team of communications professionals in an environment that supports professional growth, results, and accountability and ensures that the communications infrastructure is well-run, efficient and organized.
- Identify new opportunities to increase professional development for #YesWeCode staff.
- Work with the Development team to raise the #YesWeCode operational budget each year.
- Contribute to the annual budgeting process, ensuring that needed resources are identified and secured, and being accountable for project expenses.
- Contribute to the financial sustainability of Dream Corps operations by providing support as requested by Development staff and the Chief Executive Officer.
- Serve on the Dream Corps leadership team and collaborate with members to help shape organizational direction.
- Minimum 5-10 years of professional experience in related field(s)
- Proven leader with a record of success managing high-performing teams toward ambitious, measurable goals
- Knowledge of and experience working in the computer science arena or tech industry
- Experience engaging media effectively around social justice and tech issues
- Experience with program development, implementation, and assessment
- Experience creating and working in successful organizational partnerships
- Exceptional interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Quick, creative, entrepreneurial, and flexible, with the ability to adapt to changing circumstances and opportunities
- Strong strategic thinker who is also organized and detail oriented
- Excellent judgment and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated facility with budgets, monitoring and evaluation, and the creation of systems.
- Strong work ethic and ability to work hard and effectively in a fast-paced new endeavor.
- Ability to work independently, while simultaneously acting as a leader and participant in complex collaborative processes
- Strong relationship building skills
- Flexible work style and interest in being part of a dynamic, evolving team and organization
- Strong background in social/economic justice and equity
Please submit an entertaining cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and put “National Director, #YesWeCode – [YOUR NAME]” in the subject line. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. You cover letter should describe:
- Your sector related experience.
- Your unique qualifications for this position.
- Where or how you learned of this job posting.
Dream Corps is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, sex, gender identity, age, disability, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status or record of arrest or conviction. We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and strive for a workforce that reflects the populations that we serve.