Thank you for expressing interest in the Empathy Network Text Team, and welcome! Joining this team ensures that Dream Corps #cut50 and our partners reach the largest audience possible to take action for justice reform and turn out to related events. This is important work that helps us fulfill our urgent mission to create a more just world.
Peer-to-peer (P2P) texting is a proven tactic to activate some of the largest numbers of our supporters. The word “text” might evoke something less significant, but believe us – it is one of the most valuable tools at our disposal.
What is P2P texting?
P2P texting is a form of outreach that involves real people communicating on both ends. At Dream Corps, we use a service called ThruText to send these messages.
This is what ThruText looks like! You’ve probably received one of our ThruText messages before.
Why do we use P2P texting?
- To recruit #cut50’s supporters to our (and partners’) events.
- To urge people to take action (sign petitions, call their reps, share their stories, attend trainings, etc.) on a local, state and federal level to move the needle on key justice issues.
- To remind people of the above.
- Because P2P texting is probably the most successful form of outreach at our disposal!
- Without P2P texting, our events would have a fraction of the turnout. This work might seem simple but it is crucial to the success of our movement.
Watch this tutorial if you would like more context on ThruText.
I’m sold! Where do I start?
We are so happy to hear it! Here are the steps you need to take to join the Empathy Network Text Team:
- Sign up for our Slack community and join our #text-team channel (if you’re not in Slack already, that link will take you to a signup page!)
- Schedule a training (either 1:1 or with a group)
- Review our guide and guidelines, then sign a copy our volunteer agreement linked at the bottom of the guidelines
- Give us an idea of your availability
- Send those texts!
If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to Harrison, Dream Corps’ Digital Organizer.