Position Title: Director of Federal Policy
Reports To: Green For All, Director
Hours: Full Time;Exempt
The Director of Federal Policy is directly responsible for establishing and maintaining staff-level relationships within the White House, Congress, federal agencies, and national environmental and progressive organizations; and will lead the development and implementation of federal campaigns and strategies to advance Green For All's work in the nation's Capitol.
About Green For All:
Green For All is a national nonprofit advocacy organization working to build an inclusive green economy strong enough to lift people out of poverty. Our goal is to uplift the voice and experience of people of color in the climate movement to ensure that climate policies prioritize equity and opportunity for those hit first and worst by climate change and pollution. We are working for clean air, good jobs, and strong neighborhoods for all -- starting with those at the frontlines of the climate crisis. Founded by Van Jones, Green For All is an initiative of The Dream Corps, a social justice accelerator that helps initiatives grow big enough to impact millions of people.
Relationship Management & Coalition Building
- Proactively build relationships with the President's Administration and Congress, including ethnic tri-caucus (Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus, the Congressional Black Caucus, and the Congressional Hispanic Caucus) members and member staffers; serving as the primary contact in responding to their requests.
- Manage the daily operations of federal campaigns and political activities (including in-district events, lobby days, etc.), and special events (e.g., collaborating with federal agencies and partners on workshops and panels at major conferences).
- Represent Green For All on panels and in public forums.
- Build national coalitions in support of Green For All's mission; and, represent Green For All in national coalitions that connect with our mission.
Policy Strategy & Research
- Work with supervisor to develop, articulate and oversee implementation of a federal policy agenda.
- Create opportunities to promote Green For All's work to help shape the direction of policy and executive action on our core issues.
- Identify opportunities for Green For All to play a prominent role in major national policy initiatives and large-scale direct actions aligned with our mission.
- Work cross-departmentally to identify federal opportunities that would support our work in the field.
- Analyze federal legislative and administrative policies, and conduct needed policy research to present position recommendations to Green For All's Executive Director.
- Craft talking points and related materials for legislative visits and meetings to advance Green For All's policy priorities and campaigns.
Staffing Executive Team
- Staff executive team from Dream Corps, Green For All, and our other initiatives as needed in political meetings (including preparing backgrounders, scheduling meetings, drafting agendas, etc.)
- Carefully track and implement meeting outcomes and commitments.
- Draft talking points and speeches for DC events, as needed.
- Develop program budgets, including personnel and contractor costs and program costs associated with the aforementioned work.
- Contribute to fundraising proposals and reports.
- Provide policy guidance and support to other Green for All departments, staff, and affiliated organizations.
Other duties as needed and assigned.
Some travel outside of the D.C. area may be required (up to 25%).
- Bachelor's degree or higher; J.D. preferred
- Minimum of 5 years federal policy experience
- Strong working knowledge of how D.C. operates and ability to navigate politically
- Demonstrated experience working in and managing coalitions
- Working knowledge of environmental and environmental justice issues specifically
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Strong public speaking skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrated commitment to racial justice and social equity
- Media spokesperson skills and experience a plus
- Spanish language fluency a plus
Compensation: Salary is competitive and standard benefits are provided.
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Put "GFA Director of Federal Policy - YOUR NAME" in the subject line. Please include salary history.
The Dream Corps is an equal opportunity employer.