Position Title: Communications Director
Reports To: CEO
Location: Remote. Oakland, CA
The Dream Corps is an incubator, platform and home for world-changing initiatives. We bring people together to solve America's toughest problems. #YesWeCode, #cut50, #GreenForAll, and the #LoveArmy are initiatives of the Dream Corps. We work to close prison doors and open doors of opportunity. We fight hate with Love + Power.
The Dream Corps Communications Director creates and executes strategies that employ communications tactics such as press outreach, online advocacy, social networking, and publications. The Director supports the Dream Corps and its initiatives by developing an effective communications strategy that connects our robust network, dynamic relationships, and multi-sector strategies. The Director supports the Dream Corps and our initiatives in getting their message, content, and information out to a larger national audience.
- Strategic planning for communications – including for the Dream Corps and its initiatives
- Developing and cultivating relationships with various partners, media outlets, and influencers
- Overseeing public education and media relations
- Supporting public appearances of the Chief Executive Officer
- Maintaining brand standards and organizational identity
- Managing online communications and social media
- Writing and releasing publications or content
- Managing, developing and mentoring communications staff across the organization.
Candidates for the position must have at minimum:
- 8+ years of experience in communications, media relations, or public relations, preferably in an advocacy or nonprofit organization (in some cases, relevant graduate education [e.g., law degree] may be credited as experience)
- Understanding of a broad range of Dream Corps’ issues and advocacy strategies
- Media relations experience working with media outlets at national, regional or local levels
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Experience in working with diverse audiences, including elected officials, community leaders, bipartisan audiences and the public
- Familiarity with digital platforms and a commitment to learning and adapting to new and emerging tech/platforms
- A profound and well-articulated commitment to social justice
- Project management and collaboration experience including inter-departmental or multi-disciplinary projects and shepherding projects from inception to completion; and
- Leadership, supervisory or project management experience
- Proven ability to work within an organization emphasizing teamwork and excellence.
Please submit an entertaining cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and put “Dream Corps Communications Director – [YOUR NAME]” in the subject line. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. You cover letter should describe:
- Your communications related experience.
- Your unique qualifications for this position.
- Where or how you learned of this job posting.
- Your salary requirements