Chief Financial Officer
Reports to: CEO
Location: Oakland Office
Hours: 40 Hours/Week; Exempt
The Dream Corps works to close prison doors and open doors of opportunity. We fight hate with Love + Power. Our organization includes four initiatives: #YesWeCode, #cut50, #GreenForAll, and the #LoveArmy.
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) is responsible for ensuring the soundness of the financial structure, planning, and strategies, for Dream Corps (a 501(c)(3) entity and a related organization) Rebuild the Dream (a 501(c)(4) entity). This includes developing and implementing Dream Corps’ financial systems, procedures, and tools. The CFO works with the management team, staff, and external consultants to ensure Dream Corps’ financial well-being. This may require providing staff training to manage budgets, understand financials, to take responsibility for monitoring compliance, preparing reports to funders, etc. The CFO is responsible for anticipating Dream Corps’ financial needs and opportunities. The CFO will be a key force in thinking about and articulating the strategic directions of the organization.
- Develop financial procedures and practices, including designation of accounting codes, templates, systems and other tools to support a healthy, sustainable financial infrastructure.
- Provide leadership and oversight of Dream Corps’ financial operations, including cash flow management, AP/AR, audit planning, and all required federal and state tax filings.
- Determine financial tracking and reporting systems and work with bookkeeper to timely produce monthly and annual financial information and reports as needed (e.g. income statement, balance sheet, cash flow statement, reports for the board of directors, and etc.).
- Develop accurate financial schedules (e.g. depreciation, accruals, prepaid expenses, and payroll allocations).
- Support senior management on creation and implementation of financial budgeting and forecasting process to ensure achievement of organizational strategies and priorities.
- Develop effective systems for documentation and filing of financial records.
- Work collaboratively with program and fundraising teams to reconcile systems data and ensure accuracy of financial data.
- Provide strategic input into the direction of organization.
- Participate in formulating and administering company policies.
- With the CEO and in support and collaboration with departmental staff, oversees the development of bottoms-up annual budgets and their management, including the preparation of periodic status reports, with comparisons to budget, for use by operational units as departmental management tools. Ensures adequate staff training to decentralize responsibility for day-to-day budget management while maintaining centralized oversight and ultimate control.
- Coordinates with staff in developing contract proposals, providing specific financial analysis as required.
- Manages all activities related to the audit and to internal controls, working with CEO and Board committees as necessary to meet all compliance requirements of external funders.
- Effectively represents the organization, whenever required by the CEO, with outside stakeholders, including donors, vendors, lenders, landlords, government and foundation funders, etc.
- Supervises, trains, evaluates, recruits and maintains staff capable of discharging the complex duties of the Finance Department.
- Readily undertakes other duties as assigned by the Chief Executive Officer.
Experience & Qualifications Requirements
- Passion for Dream Corps’ mission and a strong desire to impact a quickly growing organization.
- Ideal candidate will bring executive strength to the management function through the exercise of business acumen, imagination, entrepreneurial ability, and leadership ability.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field and/or CPA strongly preferred
- 10+ years experience developing and implementing financial management policies and systems for nonprofits
- 5+years of supervising accounting personnel
- Strong understanding of generally accepted accounting principles related to non-profit organizations is required.
- Ability to take initiative and identify opportunities to improve systems and processes
- Experience leading and working with external auditors and accountants for the annual audit and annual tax returns.
- Strategic management ability with sound technical and analytical skills, strong financial focus and ability to work effectively with leadership and staff
- Professional and resourceful style with ability to work both independently and as a team, and ability to take initiative and manage multiple tasks and projects at a time
- Flexible personality to adapt to changing environment
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, to interact with all levels within the organization, as well as with representatives of external interests.
- Demonstrated leadership capability and evidence of ability to bring strategic capacity to the executive team.
- Experience in team building, demonstrated ability to motivate and lead staff. Commitment to mentoring and training, to regular performance evaluation, and to staff accountability.
- Capacity to work under pressure and meet deadlines. Ability to remain focused on outcomes and project centeredness and composure under conditions of ambiguity.
- Flexibility in meeting changing priorities, in managing multiple tasks, in remaining calm under fire, in evidencing resilience and persistence.
- Impeccable integrity professionally and in the authenticity of personal relationships, a collaborative style as manager and colleague, and evidence of a serious commitment to social service.
- Self-confident and secure, open to criticism and change, nourishing and supportive in partnership, all with a healthy sense of humor.
- Proficiency with the current version of QuickBooks and Microsoft Office applications, especially Word, Excel, and databases is required
Please submit an entertaining cover letter and resume to email@example.com and put “Dream Corps CFO – [YOUR NAME]” in the subject line. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. You cover letter should describe:
- Your CFO related experience.
- Your unique qualifications for this position.
This position is based in the Bay Area. Salary is competitive and standard benefits are provided.
The Dream Corps is an equal opportunity employer.