Digital Organizer, #cut50
Reports to: Deputy Director, #cut50
Start Date: ASAP
Location: Sausalito or Oakland, California
The Dream Corps is an incubator, platform and home for world-changing initiatives. We bring people together to solve America's toughest problems. #YesWeCode, #cut50, #GreenForAll, and the #LoveArmy are initiatives of the Dream Corps. We work to close prison doors and open doors of opportunity. We fight hate with Love + Power.
#cut50 is a national bipartisan effort co-founded by Van Jones and Jessica Jackson to reduce crime and incarceration in all 50 states. We bring together unlikely allies—formerly and currently incarcerated individuals, community members, crime survivors, local elected officials, and law enforcement--to work together in transforming the criminal justice system. By recognizing the humanity of those impacted, we can change laws in order to create safer streets and more peaceful neighborhoods.
- Change the narrative: leverage the power of media and storytelling to generate empathy for the millions of people impacted by our criminal justice system.
- Seize the momentum: Capitalize on bipartisan support by cultivating a coalition of elected officials, public supporters, and advocates across the political spectrum.
- Make a case for action: Mobilize a community of supporters to influence elected officials to support transformative criminal justice policy.
- Inform the public: Help build better understanding of the issue with mainstream audiences
#cut50 is looking for a Digital Organizer to support web content development and implement digital communication and engagement strategies (email, social media, SMS, and online campaigns).
The Digital Organizer will support the input of content onto #cut50’s website, which is hosted on Nationbuilder. You will have an opportunity to impact our groundbreaking criminal justice campaigns across local, state and federal policy and collaborate with our exceptional team of nationally-recognized reformers.
This is a fast-paced, self-driven position that requires a blend of interpersonal skills, creativity & flexibility, familiarity working with various tech platforms - especially NationBuilder - great writing skills, and a willingness to complete different tasks every day.
This role will primarily focus on supporting the team in uploading campaign content into a newly-designed website - coordinating across our communications and web development teams. There is also an opportunity to play an instrumental role in building strategic campaigns and implementing creative digital advocacy tactics to build support for legislative wins.
We are looking for an enthusiastic leader who is self-motivated, always learning and enjoys fast moving and working in collaborative environments. We are looking for someone with a “customer service” approach, willing to get a lot of work done with a big heart and great sense of humor. We need someone who excels working on complex projects and is self-motivated.
Digital Organizing (60%)
- Devise digital organizing and engagement strategies that propel legislative wins
- Work with Deputy Director to implement #cut50’s digital organizing strategies and campaigns (i.e. email, text, calls, petitions, etc.)
- Learn, maintain and continuously improve processes and systems for engaging and empowering #cut50 virtual volunteer and activist network
- Help ensure a positive experience for #cut50 members, leaders and volunteers
- Manage members in our database (NationBuilder)
- Support social media engagement and tie social actions to campaigns
- Establish goals and track data
- Team coordination - we have a multi-faceted team with many moving parts, it is critical that everyone is committed to effective coordination
- Other duties as necessary
Website Content Management (30%)
- Work with campaign managers to plan and input content into website
- Organize and archive older web pages
- Utilize NationBuilder features to make our website more engaging
- Brainstorm creative content campaigns and ideas
- Create and maintain a content calendar for #cut50’s blog
- Create digital toolkits for promoting #cut50’s campaigns
- Post news clips and basic website updates regularly
- Setup and manage microsites and campaign sites, sometimes in collaboration with partner organizations
- Advise on strategies for expanding and improving SEO, social media, and digital communications influence
- Pull regular reports and analytics to share with the team
- Interpret reports and analytics to improve systems
- Team coordination - we have a multi-faceted team with many moving parts, it is critical that everyone is committed to effective coordination and working collaboratively
- Other duties as necessary, including huge projects and minuscule tasks
- Alignment with our core values and commitment to the vision of the Dream Corps
- A demonstrated commitment to racial and economic justice
- Strong familiarity with NationBuilder
- 2+ year of digital communications, digital engagement, or digital marketing strategy
- 1+ years of digital advocacy experience for issues-based campaigns
- Working knowledge of social media platforms and strategies for audience growth and engagement (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube)
- Highly collaborative with the ability to work with people of different backgrounds and skill levels toward common goals
- Ability and commitment to learn new organizing technology
- Excellent writing skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Clear, honest, and consistent communication
- Experience facilitating conference calls & making calls to volunteers
- High attention to detail and high personal standards for work quality
- Ability to think positively, problem solve and adapt to a changing landscape
- Ability to think strategically and to execute
- Ability to work under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision
- Ability to track multiple projects at the same time and manage time well
- Committed to personal and professional development
Skills that would be a PLUS:
- Graphic design or basic video editing skills
More about the job
This full-time salaried position will be located in our Marin City and Oakland offices. Some travel may be permitted/required.
Please send cover letter and resume to Applications@dreamcorps.us with “#cut50 DIGITAL ORGANIZER” in the subject line.
In your cover letter, please tell us 1) Why you want to work with us 2) Why you are a good fit for this particular position 3) How your previous work or life experience prepared you for this role.
Salary is competitive and standard benefits are provided. Dream Corps is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity at all levels.