Policy Associate, #cut50
Reports to: National Director, #cut50
Start Date: ASAP
Location: Sausalito or Oakland, California
The Dream Corps is an incubator, platform and home for world-changing initiatives. We bring people together to solve America's toughest problems. #YesWeCode, #cut50, #GreenForAll, and the #LoveArmy are initiatives of the Dream Corps. We work to close prison doors and open doors of opportunity. We fight hate with Love + Power.
#cut50 is a national bipartisan effort co-founded by Van Jones and Jessica Jackson to reduce crime and incarceration in all 50 states. We bring together unlikely allies—formerly and currently incarcerated individuals, community members, crime survivors, local elected officials, and law enforcement--to work together in transforming the criminal justice system. By recognizing the humanity of those impacted, we can change laws in order to create safer streets and more peaceful neighborhoods.
- Change the narrative: leverage the power of media and storytelling to generate empathy for the millions of people impacted by our criminal justice system.
- Seize the momentum: Capitalize on bipartisan support by cultivating a coalition of elected officials, public supporters, and advocates across the political spectrum.
- Make a case for action: Mobilize a community of supporters to influence elected officials to support transformative criminal justice policy.
- Inform the public: Help build better understanding of the issue with mainstream audiences
#cut50 seeks a Policy Associate with strong written and verbal communication skills to support our bipartisan state and federal criminal justice reform efforts across the country.
The Associate will help develop and implement our policy priorities and legislative strategy, craft grassroots campaigns, and liaise with elected leaders to introduce, pass, and support criminal justice legislation. Candidates must be strong writers, have excellent research skills, and comfortable working under multiple, competing deadlines. Candidates who have been personally impacted by the criminal justice system and/or are deeply committed to bipartisan reform efforts are encouraged to apply. We also look for people comfortable working with a small, fast-paced and highly dedicated team.
- Perform extensive research on criminal justice policy matters and develop state and federal policy
- Monitor emerging legislation, regulations and policy developments, and ensure that important issues are appropriately considered and weighed in by #cut50
- Prepare talking points, correspondence, articles, and regularly write related articles/op-eds and content for our website/lists
- Manage and coordinate meetings with elected and public officials
- Work closely with the National Director to draft legislation and analyze legislation
- Support the execution and management of events, briefings, and issue advocacy campaigns.
- Support the facilitation of complex coalition and stakeholder consensus building processes.
- Build strong working relationships with partners and staffers
- Participate in strategic conversations with external stakeholders
- Attend meetings on behalf of #cut50
- Work with senior leadership and strategic partners to design and implement outreach campaigns
- Monitor progress of planned activities and provide regular reports demonstrating effectiveness of the outreach campaign.
- Build and maintain exceptional relationships with policy-makers, program partners, coalitions, and advocates.
Candidates should possess:
- J.D with Policy Experience or M.P.P required
- Minimum of 3 years work experience.
- Direct knowledge of public policy and legislative processes.
- Ability to work effectively with public officials and a variety of stakeholders including grassroots groups, advocates and researchers.
- An understanding of the role of social media, traditional media, and digital advocacy.
- Excellent writing and editing skills and the ability to present information in a variety of formats and styles.
- Strong organizational and administrative skills; with keen attention to detail.
- Familiarity with the criminal justice system.
- Strong work ethic and willingness to go the extra mile.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
More about the job
This full-time salaried position will be located in our Sausalito and Oakland offices. Some travel may be required.
Please send cover letter and resume to Applications@dreamcorps.us with “#cut50 POLICY ASSOCIATE” in the subject line.
In your cover letter, please tell us 1) Why you want to work with us 2) Why you are a good fit for this particular position 3) How your previous work or life experience prepared you for this role.
Salary is competitive and standard benefits are provided. Dream Corps is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity at all levels.